I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Just Keep Swimming, Swimming, Swimming

I happily found a theme for today's post: swimming.
Katie spearheaded the making of this adorable Nemo & Dory Tic Tac Toe set for Father's Day. The boys and I helped paint the fish rocks. It was much harder than it looked! The board is a painted slice of log. Katie coated everything in a glossy protective coat which looks great.
Last summer Rosie asked me to made a swimsuit. The fabric was bought at a discount store we love. Only $4/yd, so great to practice on. The order was placed for a tankini with a simple tank top and plain bottoms. Do you know I could not find a basic pattern for that with the thick straps? I could only find the spaghetti type straps or halter tops. I finally did find a top that was OK, but then I decided to start really simple with a 1-piece.
The whole suit is lined with a super nice, thick white swim fabric. I got a remnant of it at Joann's for $4, normally $25/yd. It made me realize how thin the green fabric is (basically see-through if unlined). Do you see the beautiful finish done by the cover-stitch? I love it!
This is how nice it looks on the inside: just like store-bought.
The only problem I had was the application of elastic. I did the legs first, figuring they would show less. I followed the pattern directions and cut the elastic at 90% of the leg opening. That was too much and as you can see in the top picture, it is not very gathered. For the arms/neck, I just pulled it as I stitched. That worked OK, but it is somewhat uneven. I will have to practice more. 
The suit fits, but it is a bit short and pulls in the back. Still, a good first try. Next I might try the 1-piece "wetsuit" type swimwear for Andy or a cutie girl suit for Ella. 

No comments:

pinterest-dffa4.html