I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Biggest Project Ever: Chicken Tent!!

If you have been reading for awhile, you know I like to do some odd craft projects. Remember my leather baby shoes? And my recent corsetry work? Well, today's project may be even stranger. My 3 little chickies have a very basic wooden coop. I'm not sure it's great for a cold, snowy winter, so I decided to make a lean-to tent to protect it!
I was thrilled to find Sunbrella fabric at a discount store for $5/yd. I got a total of 10 yards in various pieces and it was just enough. Stitching such a large, cumbersome piece was difficult.
I used flat-felled seams for strength and I added a large vinyl skylight.
My Dad installed it this morning. It is attached to a header board which is screwed into the board over the back garage door.
Here's a view from the other side. The corner of the house is next to the tent. The side looks wavy because I have it pulled up to let the chickens enter their run. The hay bale is keeping them from escaping.

Here's a look from inside the garage. The tent is 4 feet wide and about 5 feet deep. The skylight works perfectly! I think the sloped roof will work well to let snow run off.
This picture shows where I moved the tent fabric to let them get to their run. I have to figure something out over there. Tent stakes hold the tent down at all the corners, so it is quite secure.

What do the chickens have to say??
Bennie: I love my new tent. It is so warm and cozy and keeps out the wind!
Shelly: Ooooh, sunflower seeds in a warm garage...yum!
Blackie: This will do for now, but I hope you're planning to build us a bigger coop in the spring!

I'm working on my Civil War Dress, so I hope to be back with progress soon. I am really glad to have the Chicken Tent Done!!

No comments:

pinterest-dffa4.html