I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Regency Ball

We did it! We went to our first Regency Ball. I didn't post this week because I was busy getting ready. It was held in a very pretty old building. The room was just the right size for the number of dancers. We estimated 50 couples there.
 Here we are, all dressed up. My gown is the Sense & Sensibility Regency pattern. It was easy to make and I am satisfied with how it turned out. It was about an inch too big, but I just added a ribbon at the empire waist. The slippery fabric is not my favorite to work with, but I wanted something fancy. Many of the dresses there were made of cotton, so that would have been fine. Many were definitely Regency costumes, not historically authentic.
That went for men and women, though some of the nicest historically correct fashions were on the men. Here is a trio of beautifully outfitted gentlemen who are also Civil War reenactors.
This lady's dress was very pretty and I like her feather headpiece, too!
The dances were reel and waltzs, most often done in "sets" where the men and women formed lines with men on one side, women on the other. Some were hard to catch on to, but others were quite easy and fun! There was even a complicated "march" where all the couples marched around the room, weaving and combining in lines as we went.
There was a young lady "calling" the dances and instructing them, so that we would know what to do. Once the music began, each dance lasted 10 to 15 minutes, quite different from today's 3 or 4 minute tunes!
 I love this picture I captured of a young man hubby nicknamed "the young Thomas Jefferson" (no, the girl is not short- the young man was about 7 feet tall!).  We had fun deciding who the various dancers reminded us of.
Here's a view of the ballroom. The live musicians were to the right on a stage. It was a really fun time and something I would like to try again. Now, to start on a Civil War era gown!!



No comments:

pinterest-dffa4.html