I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Froggy Fabric, take 2:

When I first saw this adorable fabric, I knew I wanted to make an outfit from it! Do you remember the little top and shorts I made for Andy?
Well, when that fabric went on sale, I bought more, so I have enough for a few more outfits. Today, I made a quick outfit for Ella, my goddaughter.
The top is from a PDF pattern I bought on etsy: The Mayah Pinafore & Bloomers by Sew Sweet. This pattern is as easy and cute as I hoped! The top took about 40 minutes, start to finish. The back has crossover straps that are adorable!
The only change I made to the pattern was that I taped the front and back together at the sides, making one piece instead of having a side seam. I think the seam would be necessary on the larger sizes, but on this 6-9 month, I was easily able to fit it on a 42" width of fabric. The back ends up being on the bias, but I think that's fine. 
 The top is just 2 pieces, the outside and the lining. Stitch, clip, flip, and topstitch. Add buttons/holes, and voila!!
The bottoms that come with the pattern are bloomers, sure to be very cute, but I wanted short puffy panties instead, so I made up a 1-piece panty pattern. I wanted them to be full, too. I used the zigzag over round elastic technique for the legs. These took about 20 minutes. 
 So, the whole outfit could be whipped up in an hour- and that's with 5 kids on vacation running around!!
Now I want to make Andy another outfit for this summer from this cute fabric! I am thinking of froggy shorts with a purchased t-shirt with froggy embroidery. Since he was potty-trained at barely 2, overalls and rompers are not as convenient- boo hoo. I think Ella will be adorable in this and I'll try to share it modelled once I see it on her.


1 comment:

Angela Lee said...

Very sweet little set! I love these outfits.

pinterest-dffa4.html