I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pink Smocked Old Fashioned Baby Dress

I'm thrilled that I finished this dress for my friend with 4 weeks to go until the baby shower! I love it. I wanted something simple, elegant, pink, lacy, with a little smocking. The Old Fashioned Baby pattern Baby's Smocked Layette was perfect. This dress only took about 3 hours to make. Other than the hand smocking, I did everything by machine. 
The embroidery is from Linny's Heirloom by Artistic Designs. I used Madeira 60wt cotton thread for the embroidery and in the bobbin and it looks great, with no puckers.




I like the little bit of lace on a baby without it being too much. Because the smocking is only at the center front and sleeves, it didn't take too long to do. 


There are buttons down the back, so it will be easy on/off. My friend is more a Baby Gap kind of girl, so I wanted something that would be classic baby, but not too frilly. I used Imperial batiste and French lace, so it is also machine washable. I really think she will like this!
The funny thing is, I started this dress and then a few days later, Jeannie B at the Old Fashioned Baby made the same one for a gift. Of course, she was quite a bit faster than me and already has photos of the baby in the dress. I was happy to see it modeled! It looks big for a newborn to me, but hers fit a 9lb newborn as a long dress. That's the great thing about a "bishop" neckline- it fits for a long time. I hope this will be a gown when my friend's baby is born (due Dec 4) and then a dress around Easter time. I will make a simple slip next, then move on to Andy's Thanksgiving overalls. I also have a lot to do to get ready for the shower, so I'll be sharing some of those projects soon.

9 comments:

Laura said...

Gorgeous! This makes me really, really, really wanna learn how to smock!

Jan said...

I wish more people loved classic baby clothes. I would have been over the moon with a gift like this!

Elisabeth Rose said...

Laura, I know you can learn. You already did honeycomb smocking if I remember correctly. This is a very easy pattern. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Jan, thanks! I hope my friend likes it half as much as you do!
Thank you both- I love comments!

Laura said...

I probably can. Honeycomby smocking wasn't that hard, and I already know how to embroider and cross-stitch. I also just don't have any baby clothes to make at the moment. Nicole is almost into toddler clothes, (she's fitting into a size 1/2 except the length needs adjusted) and I don't yet know what the baby that we're getting in April or May is going to be. If it's a girl, smocking ho! A boy, well, not gonna happen. SIL isn't too fond of smocking or embroidery for boys.

Janice said...

Oh, Lisa, that is just precious. As I trim my list of baby projects from Will Take Two Years to Can be Done by Christmas (due date), this is going to be near the top. It is lacy enough for dress up but still simple enough for the grocery store. Great job. Your friend should be delighted.

Elisabeth Rose said...

Janice, I'm glad you liked it- I will love to see your version, too! It is really a must-do because it is so quick and easy. Your Granddaughter is due just after my friend's baby (Dec 4). It will be fun to compare (sewing) notes. I'm sure you will be inspiring me with lots of ideas (as always!)

SuperMomNoCape said...

How pretty! You did a beautiful job making it.

Karen said...

This is just precious! I am impressed with how fast you constructed it! I bet it will be a much loved gift.

suziwong said...

just lovely! it's so hard to make the decision whether or not to make something so very traditional/classic for new mum's who are into more modern mass produced garments for their babies.

For those mum's, i often don't make a traditional garment, but make a double sided swaddle wrap with a crocheted edge - modern funky fabrics with a little bit of neo-nanna edging :)

pinterest-dffa4.html