I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Baby "Doll" Clothes Bargain

Hello! A few weekends ago, Rosie and I were out shopping on a Saturday when we saw a yard sale sign. It was at an old barn where there is a "perpetual yard sale" as my Mom would say. We love yard sales, so we stopped for a look. I asked about old sewing patterns, but the man there said, "no, I don't have any patterns, but I have lots of dolls and doll clothes." That's not something I usually buy, but I went to take a look. There was an old suitcase with lots of old doll clothes, but mixed in were several white "real baby" clothes. I asked how much they were and he said, "make me an offer on the lot." Gauging hubby's reaction to that, I said "no thanks" and he said, "how about $1 each?" "OK- great!" I found 10 pieces. I cleaned them in Biz and there are about 6 pieces that are really nice. Here's one of the little dresses (probably the nicest one):
The embroideries are very pretty and the dress appears to be hand-stitched.
This is the bottom front. It's odd that the seamstress joined the laces right in front in a very obvious place. The dress is well-constructed and has no holes. It buttons on the back yoke and is fairly small- maybe a size 6 months or so. 
I'm still on Katie's computer with limited capabilities, but I hope to be back in business soon! I just started my next project. It's an "I Spy" Quilt for Andy and Davy with 100 different novelty prints in squares. I have them cut and will start sewing the top tonight. Fun!

2 comments:

Janice said...

You are THE QUEEN of yard sales! You find the most fabulous things! This dress is just exquisite. Congratulations on another big score!

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

What a lovely dress! Don't you just love yard sales? Congratulations!

pinterest-dffa4.html