I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Friday, March 16, 2012

Part IV: The Verdict

I was unable to post for the past few days because our internet was down. So, I missed the "Pi Day" post that was planned for 3-14! I will do that one after I finish this series on the Vintage Suit or Dress. Today is the final garment from this lot. It is a button-on suit, so definitely for a boy.
It is the same peach color as one of the previous outfits. In the early part of the 20th century, it was common for boys to wear pink, peach, or even lavender. I shared a pink boy's suit here. Trims were much more frilly, with lace, tatting, and Swiss embroideries all common on boy's wear. Baby boys also wore dresses until they were 2 or 3 years old. In "Elegant Sewing for Baby", Martha Pullen says that pink and blue were used interchangeably for boys and girls until the 1940s. 
The previous outfits had a more "dress-like" top, but the pants were all button-on shorts, just like these. This type of pants were for boys. Girls "panties" had a different shape, fuller and often with a waistband. The white outfit with purple stitching even had a little "fly" on the pants. So, my verdict is that all 4 of these are boy's suits.
This suit is about a size 3, again wider than would seem necessary for its height. It has beautiful drawn-thread work on the front and the biggest mother-of-pearl buttons I've ever had.
 The collar and neck area is quite a complicated arrangement of buttons and snaps. This suit is in excellent condition and will be great to take vintage pictures of Andy. The peach fabric is the same broadcloth as the other outfits, but the collar is a very soft cotton with a satiny finish. I hope you enjoyed seeing these little boy's outfits!
I will be back soon with my "Pi Day" post!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Veerrry interesting! :) I didn't know that about the colors! ;) Learn something new all the time...

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

It's so nice to see these vintage outfits. Thanks so much for sharing them. I like the fly on the shorts. :)

pinterest-dffa4.html