I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dainty Thread Crochet

Posted with permission from sctatepdx on flickr
I ran into this adorable baby on flickr while looking at Victorian children. His name is Charles Holt and at 7 1/2 months old weighed 23 pounds (a pound more than Andy at 13 months!) Isn't he the sweetest little guy? After noticing how cute he is, I noticed the gorgeous crocheted dress he is wearing. The whole dress is filet crochet and must have taken some Mama or Grandma many, many hours to make. I don't know if I'd have the patience to stick with a project like this until it was done, but it did get me wondering about thread crochet. I made 4 crocheted edge blankets for Andy before he was born and I loved working on them. 
I decided to see if I could find a pattern for a crocheted bonnet like the antique ones I often see. 
There are many antique repro patterns on ebay and the crochet thread varies from size 10 (bedspread weight) to 100 (almost like sewing thread). I made the blanket edges with size 10, so I thought I'd start there. I made this little bonnet and booties this week and both were supposed to be newborn size, but they are even tinier (perfect fit on a Bitty Baby).
I usually have to use smaller crochet hooks or knitting needles because things come out too big, but I guess this was an exception. If I make it again, I'll have to size up the hook!
When I was at Michaels craft store last week, I found several different DMC crochet threads: Cebelia, Traditions, and Baroque. I bought some size 10 and 20 to experiment with. I have a few more blankets ready to go, so I may make them to save as gifts. I hope you enjoyed seeing my dainty crochet.

1 comment:

Ellie Inspired said...

Oh, I love all those old vintage bonnet patterns on ebay too!! I bought one one time and it was very difficult to read so I did the same thing and tried to reproduce it. You did a beautiful job!! If I still had a baby, I would be begging you to write a pattern for this!

pinterest-dffa4.html