I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Shirley's Wedding Dress

This vintage wedding dress belonged to my mother-in-law, Shirley. Unfortunately, she passed away in 2002 when Rosie was a baby. She never met Davy or Andy, but boy she would have loved them! One of the things I remember the most about her was that she really loved her boys. She had 2 sons, 5 years apart. When we visited, she would talk about when they were little. She remembered how much they weighed when they were born and the big pram she would put them in for walks around the city where they lived. We didn't have a lot in common, but our love for our children was a bond between us. I wish she could visit us at our new house and meet all the children, but when I have a hard time, I think of her up in heaven looking out for us.
Shirley married on her birthday in May, 1958. The wedding was semi-formal as is reflected by this dress. It is tea-length satin and was stored for years in a black trash bag in the attic. My father in law was going to throw it away after his wife died, but I told him I'd like to save it. It is as yellowed as it looks in the first picture.

Here's a close up of the lace on the bodice. I'm sure it's a synthetic. The top border is very pretty and there are sequins stitched on, too.

I took the gown thinking that I might be able to re-make it into something else to be passed down in the family.

I'd like to hear your ideas. I've had 2 of my own. I could make a christening gown from it. I have 5 children and my husband's brother has 3, so I'm not sure who would want the christening gown, but I could save it for whoever was interested. My other thought is to make 3 small purses or bags for the 3 granddaughters (my 2 girls and BIL's 1). I'm not sure what I could do in that direction, but I like the idea of making 3 of something for the 3 girls. I'd love to hear what you think and any ideas you have. Also, does anyone know the proper way to clean this? I love Biz, but I'm not sure what it would do to an old synthetic. Thanks for reading my blog!
The back bodice and zipper.

My parting shot is this view of the harbor near where we took a day trip this week. It was a beautiful day and we took the kids to a playground right next to this view! Oh, I'm so glad spring is here!

1 comment:

Deb said...

My suggestion is to hang on to it and make it into a Baptism gown for your first grandchild or for your BIL's first grandchild.

pinterest-dffa4.html