I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Quick, Easy, and Cheap Curtains for my Living Room


We have been trying to make our living room less formal and more practical. With 5 kids and only one TV, there were frequent arguments minor disagreements over what to watch. For Christmas, we bought the family a new TV for the living room and took out the coffee table to make more space. The 2 love seats face each other and it has become a favorite new spot to watch TV, do homework, play Barbies, or read. I had some formal swags and tiers that I had made for our old house about 17 years ago! I wanted something brighter and more casual.

I was at WalMart the other day and spied this pretty, striped home dec fabric on clearance for $5/yd. I looked through my excessive hoard stock of patterns and found this simple, reversible topper. I bought the black scroll fabric at JoAnn's for $7/yd. It only took 1 yard of each to make both valances, so I only spent $12 on the set!
Of course, I plan to choose one side to show at a time, but I put one of each up to see which I like better. I can't decide! My kids all voted for the stripes, which I like because it's light and has colors. But the black is very elegant and sets off the dark wood in the room, too. For $12, I have 2 new looks for my living room! The best part is, these only took 30 minutes each to make. The pattern I used is Butterick 6568. Leave a comment and tell me which look you like! Have a great day- back soon!  Lisa

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I like them both...but I love the contrast provided by the black curtains!!! What a smart girl you are to make them reversible!!! Great job!!!

pinterest-dffa4.html