I hope to inspire and entertain you with a lot of sewing and a little of everything else!

Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Present....Antalanters

I'm linking to Laurie's Christmas Memories posts at SewnSo's Journal today. I linked to a memory about Christmas past last week and was planning to make Andy's overalls for this week's post. I tried to get to it all week, but no luck. The kids were home sick a few days, we had Davy's Christmas party on Saturday, and I'm still battling computer woes (all my embroidery designs are on our defunct computer waiting to be restored by Carbonite!). Most of all, my little Andy has developed separation-from-Mommy anxiety, so whatever I do is accomplished with him on one arm! So, needless to say, the overalls aren't done. They are cut out and that's it. So, I thought I wouldn't be able to do the linky party today. When I got to the computer this morning and checked Laurie's blog, I saw that Life Got In The Way of her sewing, too!! It's not just me!! Doesn't it always make you happy to know you're not the only one??
So, today all 4 big kids went to school and Andy was happy for a little while chewing on a dissolvable rice rusk in his high chair. I managed to embellish a shirt for Davy's Kindergarten Christmas Party on Wednesday.
The design is from Planet Applique. When I saw it, I just thought it was so cute. AND it reminded me of a fun story, too. Keep reading...

















Here's Davy wearing the shirt!
The funny story is from 2003, when Katie was 5 and Rosie was 3. It was a few weeks before Christmas and I was working on something in the kitchen. The girls were very quiet in the family room. All of a sudden, they came in singing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. You have to picture the next part, because the photo I have is on film and I can't scan right now. They had cut out paper antlers and noses and colored them in: brown antlers and red noses. They taped the antlers to their foreheads and noses on their noses. They were so proud and looked so cute and said, "Mommy, look at our ANTALANTERS!" We still call them that and the picture is one of my all time favorites. That's why I loved this machine embroidery so much! So, I guess today's post is about Christmas present and Christmas past. It's also appropriate because Katie's been reading Dickens' A Christmas Carol at school.
Laurie, if you're reading this, I guess we'll both have an easy time on next week's post. We just have to be sure we don't finish our unfinished Christmas projects. And for me, the project I intend to share next week has been in the works for 17 years!!

7 comments:

Sew Shine said...

LOL! I'm in the same boat! Have a pile of "to-do" projects that were supposed to be done for this post. I AM really glad I'm not the only one! Your t-shirt is ADORABLE and I love the story of the antalanters! What fun memories! :)

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

The reindeer is darling! I also have lots of projects for next weeks post!

Laurie said...

LOL! Ohhh, you just don't even know how happy I am that others are in the same boat as me! I guess it was fate to not get anything accomplished last week so that I could share with the world that I too, have piles of "to-do" projects with good intentions, but sometimes they never get finished!
Loved the Antalanters Story!

Elisabeth Rose said...

Yes, I guess we are all in the same boat! Every year, I want to be ready early, but I never am. Oh, well, we are all in good company!

ShirleyC said...

Don't you just love Planet Applique! I almost bought that same design, but I was trying to get things I would use. I have so many designs and so many I will probably never use.
I love the shiny nose, and I'll have to save that idea for next year.
It's nice to find someone else with the same interest.

Elisabeth Rose said...

Yes, Shirley, I love their designs. I went a little crazy on their Black Friday sale. I love the shirts you made, too! The shiny red fabric has sequins and it did make the thread break a few times, but overall was OK.

Unknown said...

What a cute story!! I love the reindeer shirt!!!

pinterest-dffa4.html